Friday, February 13, 2009

Pushing The Comfort Zone

On Monday, we were supposed to add something to our oufit that would push us out of our comfort level. I decided to wear an "Ugly Christmas Sweater". I actually bought this sweater at a Goodwill in Green Bay during Winter Break when my friends and I were going to an "Ugly Christmas Sweater Party". I brought it back with me to Eau Claire for who knows what reason and thought it would be perfect for this activity!

When I first put on the sweater in the morning, my room mate, who was actually at the Ugly Christmas Sweater party back home, and has her own Ugly Christmas Sweater, was looked at me like I was crazy and immediately questioned my outfit for the day. I of course explained the reason to her but it didn't stop her from laughing everytime she looked at me. It only got better as I got down onto lower campus.

That day was the first day I was meeting with a tutor in the Skills Center for my anatomy class. It was the first time I ever wished to be cold so I didn't have to take my jacket off and have her look at me like she was studying with a crazy person; but of course it wasn't cold but I kept my jacket on regardless. However, when I went to my actual anatomy/physiology class that morning, which is in Hibbard 100, the hottest lecture hall on campus, the amount of warmness I felt sitting in the chair was proving to be too much of a distraction and I did the unthinkable, I took my jacket off to expose the Ugly Christmas Sweater!

My friend who sits next to me literally laughed out loud and I had to explain yet again the reason for such holiday cheer. Apparently wearing a green button-down sweater with little bells and reindeer on the front, in February, is cause for staring. For as embarrassing as wearing that outfit during a school day instead of at a themed party where it's a big joke that everybody looks ridiculous, I'll admit it did teach me something.

I've always tried to do things that don't make me stick out. I hate when people stare or when I feel embarrassed about something and everybody knows it. I have never been the type of person to just go along with whatever the "cool" thing to do is, but I don't like drawing attention to myself or being put on the spot. This activity definetly pushed my comfort zone, and I survived! Nobody ever died from being pushed out of their comfort zone or embarrassed. I actually think that pushing someone out of their comfort zone can be positive. It only makes you realize that you have to do what makes you happy and you can't always worry about what other people are thinking of you, especially people who only see the 'outside' of you on a daily basis. It is much more important to do what makes you happy and only worry about the people know who you are on the inside as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment